Wednesday 30 October 2013

Task 5a: Ethical work within dance teaching


Without looking into the reader and researching the meanings of ethical working, I am aware of the important role it plays in ensuring quality work, safe practice and the safeguarding of both pupils and teachers.

Ethics isn’t about what work we do, more HOW we do it. How I, as a dance teacher, can ensure that my pupils are learning dance safely and enjoying the lessons that their parents have invested time and money in.

I have thought about what it is my moral responsibility to do within my job. Here are a couple of key areas:

Safeguarding: ‘The process of protecting children from abuse or neglect, preventing impairment of their health and development, and ensuring they are growing up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care that enables children to have optimum life chances and enter adulthood successfully.’ Safeguarding Children / Ofsted - Ofsted. Safeguardingchildren.org.uk.

It is my responsibility to ensure all children are safe at all times in my dance lessons and in the transition periods before and after the lessons. It is also my responsibility to assess the wellbeing of the child and notice any changes in their health and emotional development.

Confidentiality: Some aspects of working with children must be kept confidential – their personal details being the key one. The children and parents must feel they can trust you with personal information, particularly if it is anything that may affect their behaviour, dancing and how they should be dealt with (for instance if stressful events may be happening elsewhere in their life at the time). However, confidentiality rules must always come with the clause that if someone discloses something that needs passing on for their safety this always should be made clear. It is my job to know when this is appropriate to do so.

Plagiarism: This is my sole responsibility. Ensuring that the choreography I teach and the shows I put on are all my creative property and not that of any one else.

Standard Policies: With many people attending classes, policies need to be created to protect both the school and the parents. So to prevent favouritism and ‘one rule for one, another for others’ type situations policies confirming procedures including children’s behaviour management, payments, uniform and general running of the classes can be created to make sure everything is clear and above board – helping to create an equal environment. Holding lessons within a school setting means that my policies must line up with that of the schools and so to prevent confusion. It is my responsibility to keep these policies up to date and relevant.

Responsible Adult: As a dance teacher, much like lots of other professions, I become a role model to children of many ages. It is my responsibility to ensure I do not set any bad examples and help guide the children to making correct choices. I cannot expect respect if I don’t show it to them.

It is my responsibility to, through these areas, ensure each child is happy, safe and learning. It is as important as the dance steps they are there to learn. Their wellbeing is key to their learning but also my business – why would a parent pay to take their child to a school that ethically is not sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment